DT786 – Doc Brown
Unlearn Records boss Doc Brown drops his first solo release of 2022 on the label with the huge two-track EP ‘Information / Behind You’.
As the driving force behind Unlearn Records, Doc Brown needs little introduction. We last saw him on the label alongside Jerome Robins back in January with their collab Double Drop, and now’s he’s back on the label he founded a little over 18 months ago with arguably his most impressive EP to date.
Information is a sinister, snarling beats of a track. Raw and intimidating with darkly hypnotic rhythm, it sits right at the edge where tough house topples into techno, its warped vocals and industrial vibe leaving a lasting impression.
Behind You employs similarly mechanised tones, albeit with slightly less overt menace. A skittering, sinewy lead synth line twists and tugs like a bruised serpent, while crisp drums and pummeling bass lead the way.
Today, he returns to The Podcast. Listen to it below, on Mixcloud or iTunes here.
Sum up this podcast in 10 words…
A mix with dance music you can actually dance to.
What’s your personal favourite track on it?
It would probably be too easy to pick one of my own tracks in the mix, or one upcoming on the label or from label artists—and the mix has lots of those—but I think my favorite right now is Jansons’ new one with Dope Earth Alien, Stutter. Really clever vocals & what a synth riff!!
What’s the special ingredient in this mix?
This is mix is all about size. I enjoy playing massive tracks but it’s really easy to go overboard with playing this type of music with huge drops, loud sirens & tracks that are more functional than impressive. My attempt here was to curate a collection of fresh & interesting tracks that sound big while still keeping a flow & rhythm that feels more underground than commercial.
Tell us about your next EP?
My next EP is actually coming out on my own label, and it’s the first I’ve actually released on Unlearn:Records in over a year. The tracks are dark & moody: Information is vocal-led & the bigger and more accessible of the two, while Behind You is more of a late-night cut with spaced out atmospheres & is heavily reliant on the syncopated groove underneath. I love loops in 3, 5 & 7 beats over a 4/4 timing; I’m definitely moving toward playing more music like this & creating layered soundscapes & grooves with 3 & 4 decks much like a techno DJ would, functionally.
What have you got coming up?
Well, the first-ever Unlearn:Records showcase during MMW was a huge success, so the plan is to take the show on the road! The roster is becoming more & more deep with label artists all over the country,and world! Label events showcase label artists only, and it’s really fun to be able to expose people who are into what I’m doing to other artists I’m digging. This summer we’re looking at doing a few dates throughout the US and every event we’ve done thus far has been awesome; people are really into the brand and have trust that the music will be to their liking—even if they’re not yet familiar with each particular artist as a selector. Seeing that trust from those that support the brand is really, really cool.
And finally, do you have a special message for our readers?
Yeah, I mean—I think everyone should give something new a chance. Follow an artist online who has that one weird track you think is cool, or join a new Discord channel about something you like. Go to a show where you don’t know any artists or dig through some records from people & labels you’ve never heard of. Can’t promise you it will all be good, but you’ll probably find some cool stuff that can become very personal to you. At the very least it’ll keep you on your toes and new stuff will always challenge the way you see things, which is never a bad thing.
1. Salvatore Bruno // Ask Yourself (Original Mix)
2. Novodisc & Flash 89 // 2ME (Extended Mix)
3. Ruben Verone // Mobbin Tek (Original Mix)
4. NicoRozas & Alonso Bierg // Modulation (Original Mix)
5. Robiin // Turbulence (Original Mix)
6. GetCosy & Kitobwoy // I Like Beats (Original Mix)
7. Sid Vaga & Herald // On the Moon (Ekoboy Remix) w/ Doc Brown // Shake Yr Body (Acapella)
8. Raffa FL // How We Do (Brian Remii Extended Remix Feat. Mr. V)
9. DEM2 // The Outsiders (Extended Mix)
10. Stanny Abram // Rock The Bells (Original Mix)
11. Sean Random // Electric (Original Mix)
12. Alexic Rod // Chlorophyll (Original Mix)
13. Funkerman & I-Fan // Beautiful (Salmiak Remix Extended)
14. Mr. Peacock // Dancing In Heaven (Original Mix)
15. Doc Brown // The Red Planet (Original Mix)
16. Crazy Fluke // Obey (Extended Edit)
17. Jansons // Stutter (Original Mix Feat. Notelle)
18. Luigi Rocca // The Joker (Doc Brown Remix)
19. M.F.S: Observatory & Elternhouse // Magical People (Extended Mix)
20. James Fergus // Beat Is More Hype (Original Mix)
21. ID // ID
22. Marlon Sadler // Rockin (22 Weeks Remix)
23. ID // ID
24. Point Set // No Requests (Original Mix)