Jimbo James joins our Spotlight Mix Series
Jimbo James harnessed the funk at an early age growing up in Chicago. The son of a badass bass player, young James was raised on groovy rock ‘n’ roll of the 80’s; bands like Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, Little River Band, The Doobie Brothers, and Pablo Cruise shaped his taste. Jimbo studied classical music starting when he was 10 years old playing trumpet for the school band; which he continued to do up until he graduated high school. As a teenager, Jimbo also played drums for a handful of rock bands during the grunge heydays of the 90’s. Maturing into a young adult, Jimbo travelled west to San Diego in 1999; once in Cali he began producing hip hop beats and writing rhymes.
Fast-forward to 2011, the resurgence of underground dance music strikes California! Jimbo, along with friend Jon Dadon, throw a small, one-off party called Lovelife–booking Life and Death duo Thugfucker as their guests. The first event was a smash! That led to the second party, and then the third; six years later, Jimbo James and Dadon are over 80 Lovelife parties deep!
As Lovelife was taking off, Dadon enlisted Jimbo James to assist in building his recently founded blog, Music is 4 Lovers. Jimbo thought contributing to MI4L was a great way to dig deeper into the tunes he was captivated by, and also educate party-goers in San Diego what house music was all about; he selected the pen name “jams” and got to work. Currently, Jimbo is the Editor-in-Chief of MI4L, spearheading the blog’s music programming and leading multiple contributors simultaneously who write music/event reviews and features.
About the mix: “This set is inspired by a weekly sunset party I throw every Friday on the beach in San Diego called SOLSET. I open the party every week at Firehouse in Pacific Beach playing slow disco edits and deep house while the sun sets over the ocean. I close out the mix with a fresh tune off the forthcoming debut release on Music is 4 Lovers label in early 2018. Enjoy!” – Jimbo James
01) The Owl – Feel Good (Original Mix) [Editorial Records]
02) COEO – Flesh World (Original Mix) [Toy Tonics]
03) Ziggy Phunk – The Beat (Original Mix) [Good For You Records]
04) Hotmood – Hundred of Times (Original Mix) [Masterworks Music]
05) Love Dance – Who Is He (Original Mix) [Whiskey Disco]
06) COEO – In Motion (Original Mix) [Toy Tonics]
07) Lewie Day – That’s the Thing (Original Mix) [Murmur Records]
After Dark [38:00-01:06:07]:
08) Delete – Slo-Mo Girl (Original Mix) [Get Physical Music]
09) Larse – Beat Goes On (Original Mix) [Suol]
10) Alma Negra – Endless Summer (Original Mix) [Heist Recordings]
11) Lex Luca – Shake It Down (Original Mix) [MadTech Records]
12) Dealin – Nico Mendez (The Revenge Remix) [Music is 4 Lovers]