DT671 – Mihai Popoviciu
Mihai Popoviciu, from Sibiu in Romania, is considered one of the most innovative eastern European producers of electronic music today. He was born in Romania in 1981 and was drawn to the fast-growing rave scene of the 90’s. He started producing music in 2001 being influenced by the techno and house virus and it took many years of experiments until he came up with his first vinyl release on DJ Hell’s imprint Gigolo Records in 2005. Since then he has steadily added chapters to his personal success story with solo projects and those with partners like Markus Homm or Jay Bliss.
It’s not a big surprise that Mihai’s reputation as a DJ grew fast in the past years taking him to Europe’s most important clubs and venues. His flavourous DJ sets have a distinctive personal touch delivering you a perfectly balanced mixture of groovy beats, warm pads and musical emotions that will get you addicted.
He has been consistently releasing fire-grade dancefloor weapons on labels such as Highgrade, Intacto and Poker Flat for well over a decade, and his passion for quality seems stronger than ever. His latest release, ‘Sleepwalking‘ is a deep groover. It has a bubbling undercurrent that slowly works its way to the surface. It has a jazzy, swingy feel that hits the mark early and moves under your skin.
Sum up this podcast in 10 words:
Some of the music that I like and have been playing in the last months.
What’s your personal favourite track on it?
Chris Stussy – Betasonix
What’s the special ingredient in this mix?
The groove (as usual) 🙂
What’s the best gig you’ve played recently?
The Poker Flat Showcase in Zagreb last month was great!
What have you got coming up?
New release on Poker Flat Recordings coming up at the end of november!
And finally, do you have a special message for our readers:
Thank you for your love and constant support!
1. Till Kruger – Displace (Till Kruger Remix) (200 Records)
2. Charlie Banks – Flight Mode (Moscow Records)
3. Toman – Up The Crane (Mihai Popoviciu Remix) (Inermu)
4. Chris Stussy – Evening Drive (PIV)
5. Mihai Popoviciu – Sleepwalking (Poker Flat Recordings)
6. Andrey Djackonda – Spread Only Positive (Cyclic Records)
7. A_B Sides 13 – Mtp (A_B Sides)
8. Chris Stussy – Betasonix (Berg Audio)
9. Josh Butler – Right Time (Solid Grooves Records)
10. Mihai Popoviciu – Double Clap (Unreleased)
11. Luca Doobie – Freudzen (AMA Recordings)
12. DJ Steaw – On Sunset (META)