480 – DJ 3000
We aren’t sure what it about Detroit that allows the city to produce such a high volume of quality electronic music but surely, there must be something to it. The air? The water? Well, we can neither confirm or deny any theory regarding why the area is such a hotbed of creativity for house and techno but rather revel in the dance hub’s all American cool. Yes, this weeks podcast sees us head to back to the Motor City as Hamtramck producer DJ 3000 serves up an hour long set of selections for our listening pleasure.
Having established a fierce reputation in recent times, the selector born Franki Juncaj has just returned to his Motech label and having served up his first 12-inch for the in over three years, has got us all hot and bothered about what he’s got planned for the rest of the year. Titled ‘Take Me Away’, eagled eared listeners will probably already be aware of the Truncate remix of the hypnotic house straddling techno number, having been included in Eats Everything’s recent fabric mix and used to hammer dance floors all over the world over the course of the past few months.
With plenty of other exciting developments in the pipeline for 2016 and beyond, the next summer look set to be the most exciting of the DJ 3000’s career. We wish we could tell you more, but right now all we’ll say is watch this space!
Sum up this podcast in 10 words…
Funky Techno but not that Techno you think is Techno.
What’s your personal favourite track on it?
Not to sound biased but the remix Truncate did for me is dope!
What’s the special ingredient in this mix?
My special ingredient for this mix was a little help from Motor City Brewing Works Ghetto Blaster Beer. This was a one take mix, just hit record and go, and capture the moment. I think it’s the best way, at least it sounded good to me when I was mixing but that was also 6 beers into the mix…
What’s the best gig you’ve played recently?
To be honest I haven’t played a gig in 2 or 3 years so if you like this podcast or my music and want me to come out and DJ in your country, city, town or village hit me up!
What have you got coming up?
I am in the middle of mixing down my next EP to release on Motech later this summer. I’m focusing on releasing more of my own music on my label because I took a back seat for a while focusing on new artists on the label and pushing the label’s profile. Now I have a bit more free time to focus on my own productions, so look out for that.
And finally, do you have a special message for our readers?
Hmmmm not sure if I have a special message, but if you’re reading this and listening to the podcast, all I hope to convey is that I turn you on to some new and exciting artists that maybe you’re not aware of. In my DJ sets, I try to play whatever it is I like and feel, without ever worrying about if people will like it or not, to be honest. I like to think I stick to mostly a Techno genre but I walk the line a bit and am known for dropping a few surprises in my sets every now and then.
01. Unspent – ‘Tellure’ (Abstract Animal)
02. DJ 3000 – ‘Take Me Away (Truncate Remix)’ (Motech)
03. Floorplan – ‘Music’ (M-Plant)
04. Mikael Klasson – ‘Chant De Plomb’ (Motech)
05. Mac-Kee – ‘That’s Right’ (RRYGULAR)
06. DJ Nasty – ‘Work That Body’ (Moveltraxx)
07. Unspent – ‘La Verite (Chambray Remix)’ (Abstract Animal)
08. Lil Louis – ‘Black Out (DJ 3000 Remix)’ (unreleased)
09. Mason Rubinstein – ‘String Theory’ (Restructured)
10. Truncate – ‘Another One (Len Faki Remix)’ (Truncate)
11. Anthony Dupont – ‘Contradictions’ (Motech)
12. Antonio Giampietro – ‘Perfect Day’ (Motech)
13. Subradeon – ‘United’ (Motech)
14. Darkcube – ‘Anhedonia (Jared Wilson Remix)’ (Detroit Techno Militia)
15. Detroit Grand Pubahs – ‘My Own Black Horizons (Horsemans Dub)’ (Engineroom)
16. Luca Lento – ‘Actias Selele (DJ 3000 Remix)’ (SK Supreme)