NUDE078: Shay De Castro
Shay De Castro is a North American techno DJ and producer, who’s quickly become one of the genre’s rising talents. Growing up playing the guitar, she has always been drawn to the dark and driving side of music, which is evident in her style today. Thanks to her energetic, hard-hitting sets and deep productions. She’s managed to set herself apart with her unique style and genuine passion for connecting with people through music.
The young producer and DJ grew up in the United States, living in some of the best cities for techno music. Playing the guitar and listening to grunge rock since she was a child. This had a huge influence on her sound today, always making sure to have that “dark” ingredient thrown into the mix. However, it was during her time in the culture-rich Los Angeles, California and Guadalajara, Mexico that took her productions to the next level, mixing her booming, driving aesthetic with deep melodies. Perhaps it was the mariachi, or maybe the tequila. Whatever it is, it seems to be working.
Her sound has developed over the years. This is thanks to a mixture of her own CRIMETHINK underground parties and more commercial trance events. To become the thumping, boundary-pushing aural journeys you’ll hear today. Violent synths and head-shaking kicks are ever-present in her studio. Her creativity earning support and recognition from techno giants like Amelie Lens, UMEK, T78, Enrico Sangiuliano, and more.
Sum up this podcast in 10 words…
Driving, relentless, psychedelic, danceable, banging, guaranteed dance floor fillers, happy
What’s your personal favourite track on it?
Oh man, that’s a tough one! Probably Narciss – Physical. He meshed those vocals perfectly
What’s the special ingredient in this mix?
I just played my first gig in almost 2 years last weekend, and that refilled my HP meter! Gave me life and energy that I put into this mix
Tell us about your next EP?
Lockdowns has a lot of effects on me: one of the biggest being raising my BPM up haha. Seems like everyone’s tastes got harder, and my next EP will be as well. It’s a perfect outlet for the frustration and simultaneous Hope I’ve felt.
What have you got coming up?
Some EPs, a couple remixes, and some gigs around the US too!
And finally, do you have a special message for our readers?
Humongous thank you to the people who have supported me in any way – no one progresses on their own and when I see your messages of support or the smiles on your faces on the dance floor, it elevates me like you wouldn’t believe.
- REMY-X – The Body (Niereich & Shadym Remix) [Coincidence Records]
- Allan Feytor – Ecliptic (Original Mix) [Noir]
- Juliana Yamasaki- Burning Fire (Original Mix) [ODD Recordings ]
- Deas – Drift (Original Mix) [Planet Rhythm]
- Luca Agnelli – K666 (Original Mix) [Planet Rhythm]
- SERA J – Envy (Original Mix)
- 1luu – Aluminium [COUP]
- Jon Connor – Witchcraft (Original Mix) [Bubblejam]
- I AM BAM – OWIE [ARTS]
- I AM BAM – ko55Ke5 [ARTS]
- Bleur & MB1 – ID [Revolution Records]
- Don Weber – Disco Lights (Original Mix) [Revolution Records]
- Shay De Castro – Galvanize (Original Mix) [OFF]
- Amelie Lens, Airod – Escape (Original Mix) [LENSKE]
- Roberto Rodriguez – Simulation Argument (KRL MX Remix)
- Champas – Raw Matters (Original Mix) [Definition of Hard Techno]
- Narciss – Physical [RAW]
- Reinier Zonneveld, DYEN – Bonnes (Original Mix) [Filth on Acid]
- Ingrid – 1991 (Original Mix) [Rave the Planet]