IMS Ibiza 2023 announces first 10 speakers
IMS Ibiza, a thought-leadership platform at the precipice of culture, education, industry and wellness in electronic music, announces today the first details of its carefully curated programming for the 14th edition of the summit, hosted at the inspiring Destino Pacha Ibiza Resort, which, for the second year, will be privatized exclusively for attending delegates. Across three days, the summit will unite innovators, creators, visionaries and disruptors from across the global electronic music ecosystem for analysis of the most crucial business challenges and opportunities facing our industry today.
Co-hosted by leading BBC Radio 1 broadcasters Pete Tong MBE and Jaguar, the summit will deconstruct the topics and issues that really matter, inspiring ethical and sustainable growth, and catalysing positive change from the boardroom to the dance floor. Topics will include a dissection of the complexities of AI, the next steps for music and Web3, diversity and inclusion, the impact of ageism in electronic music, music rights management, understanding neurodiversity, the ever-changing dynamic between agents and promoters, an analysis of music journalism, plus the unveiling of the much anticipated IMS Business Report and its widely quoted annual industry valuation figure, which has become critical to the industry’s positioning and success.
- In his debut appearance at IMS Ibiza, Max Lousada (Warner Music Group, CEO, Recorded Music) will reflect upon his long and influential career in the music industry in a keynote interview, covering his deep affinity for Ibiza and electronic music and lifting the lid on his vision for the future of WMG’s global recorded music operations.
- Having carved out a reputation as one of the freshest new artists in UK club culture, BBC Radio 1 Resident and Hooversound label boss SHERELLE will be joined in conversation with Fabio & Grooverider, the pioneering DJ duo that shaped the sound of drum ‘n’ bass and played a vital role in establishing the house, techno and early breakbeat scenes in the UK.
- In ‘Reclaim Your Rights’ Ben Mawson (Co-Founder, TaP Music) will present a fascinating case study on how TaP Music spearheaded the lawsuit that led to house legends Larry Heard and Robert Owens winning a major court battle to reclaim the rights to their back catalogue after decades of struggle.
- A live recording of the ‘Takin’ Care of Lady Busine$$’ podcast will unite Jennifer Justice (Founder/CEO, The Justice Dept.), an entertainment and live experience executive and former attorney to Jay-Z, known for her expertise in building artists’ careers, with TOKiMONSTA to discuss the latter’s new venture as Co-Founder of SONA, a Web3-based music protocol putting artists in control of the culture they create.
- Fat Tony, will share the journey of his ascent to kingpin of the 80s and 90s club scene as one of London’s most notoriously hedonistic DJs, to rehab and recovery, in an intimate and revealing keynote interview.
- Planet in Progress by foundation.fm will present DJ, producer, pianist, activist, founder of Femme House and Music Director for W Hotels LP Giobbi leading a workshop to teach key skills in Sound Production, Engineering and Design for women, queer and non-binary folk.
- Elijah presents Yellow Squares (Founder, Make The Ting) will present his workshop ‘Social Media As A Canvas’, sharing his wisdom and expertise around cutting through the noise on social media to build resonant brands and get your voice heard as an artist.
- In ‘Trust The Process’ Cristiana Simon (Artist Manager, Alegria Agency) manager of Grammy-Award winning artist Black Coffee will share her experiences of taking a leap of faith as a young manager
- IMS finally brings back the Presidential Debate to the speaker floor, as Tom Schroeder (Wasserman, Partner; Agency) goes head-to-head with a leading promoter yet to be announced
- Live tastemaker and master curator David Sinopoli (Founder, iii Points; Co-Owner, Club Space) will share some of his secrets around building one of the world’s most credibly curated and creatively cutting-edge festivals and while managing one of the world’s biggest nightclubs, making Miami one of the most important cities in the global dance landscape.
“IMS returns to open the Ibiza season with a powerful and diverse mix of carefully considered content focused on the key issues facing our industry today. In 2023, we no longer have the luxury of speculating about the future: AI has fully arrived, and things will move fast from this point forward. In our industry’s first full year back to business after COVID, we’re presented with a dizzying array of new products, problems, and possibilities. Artists finally returning to touring do so amongst a huge generational shift and soaring production and travel costs whilst attempting to navigate the increasingly complex environmental issues surrounding live music. As a tidal wave of AI-generated content sweeps in, some welcome a new era of creative possibilities, while others lament the loss of another aspect of humanity in music, all while a cornucopia of unanswered questions are created concerning the control of rights. It’s time for us to collectively ‘Face the Future’.”IMS co-founder and lead curator Ben Turner
Each year, IMS Ibiza presents opportunities for delegates to explore best practices and innovation in technology, diversity and inclusion, education and wellness, presented in engaging formats discoverable across the sprawling seaside Destino Pacha Resort site.
Wellness platform The Art of Areté will once again be fully integrated into the IMS Ibiza experience free of charge to all attendees thanks to the generosity of Pioneer DJ. It will offer daily programming supporting the mental health of our industry, including Vedic Meditation training (as taught by Beatles’ guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi), breathwork, yoga, sound healing, sunset walks, and keynote artist interviews to be announced.
IMS College, presented in partnership with Point Blank Music School, will offer a complete schedule of artist-led workshops and DJ and production masterclasses. In between the on-stage sessions, delegates will be able to drop in for one-on-one production feedback, career coaching and product demonstrations.
IMS Tech X will showcase the very latest in technology, providing a carefully curated selection of the world’s most innovative brands, including Pioneer DJ, TribeXR and more.
The YouTube Lounge, will create an all purpose co-working space for delegates to host meetings, network and enjoy refreshments. Daily drop-in sessions will invite delegates to come and meet the YouTube team for open discussions on all aspects of the platform and best practice advice for the electronic music industry. Lounges will also be presented by Beatport, Deezer and Party Degenerates.
“YouTube is proud to support IMS in bringing together world-leading music pioneers. Innovation has always been at the heart of electronic music; forums like IMS are vital to bring us together as an industry to explore how we can collectively innovate and break new ground in the face of an ever evolving technological landscape. Change comes from within, and we’re excited to continue our partnership with IMS to empower the next generation of music visionaries.”Dan Chalmers, Head of Music EMEA YouTube
The IMS Legends Awards Dinner presented by YouTube will return to celebrate and recognise a true pioneer in the electronic music world for their outstanding contribution to the industry. Previous winners include Simon Dunmore – founder of Defected Records, Underworld, Nile Rodgers, Fatboy Slim, Carl Cox and Ricardo Urgell, founder of Pacha Ibiza, and the worldwide Pacha Group.
IMS Ibiza Summit delegates will also be able to experience some of the hottest parties and events on the island, including the iconic IMS Dalt Vila closing celebration. Delegate Badges for IMS Ibiza Summit are available to purchase now on the IMS website via exclusive ticketing partner DICE, including concessions for Students, Under 27’s, Ibiza Residents and Delegates using sustainable travel to arrive in Ibiza.
More information and tickets can be found here