Limbo Records – 10 Tips To Running a Label
Launched in 1993 by Billy Kiltie, Limbo Records has had a complete overhaul for 2019. The label has had huge successes over the years, responsible for seminal 90’s tracks such as Gypsy – I Trance You, Sublime’s Theme and Mukkaa’s Burrachacca.
With a new distribution deal, new look and some great new music lined up, the first release on the re-launch of the label is from Irish prog housers Phraktal – Phraktal ‘Chime’.
Label owner and founder Billy Kiltie supplies his top 10 tips to running at a record label and keeping longevity in electronic music.
- Make sure to build a strong and reliable team around you. Find out the ways you work best and what people you work best with.
- Always look beyond the release. Does the track have longevity in the electronic world? What makes it unique and right for your label?
- Longevity starts with a strong foundation. Our publishing connections with 23rd Precinct allowed us to compete in other markets such as sync
- Keep up to date with the electronic scene on a local and global scale. It’s important to know your market and what future sounds might be around the corner.
- Create a consistent online presence and a strong fan base will follow. Be creative with your online presence because there is a lot going on in the world of social media. Make sure you stand out.
- Don’t always follow the trends! If you see a gap in the market, why not fill it?
- Don’t be a dick! Be nice and make relationships with other industry professionals. Our connections across the music industries over the past 25 years have been key to our success and we wouldn’t be where we are today without them.
- Get a good graphic designer to work on a brand identity and promotional content for your releases.
- Create a musical identity that is unique to you and your label. Find your niche and this will allow longevity.
- Explore different options for PR and consider putting some money behind digital marketing for your releases.